Have you had your property on the Market for a while with no serious interest? Here are some tips from James to start the New Year off fresh and ready!
Re List – Re listing your property with a new MLS # will give your home a fresh start, shuffle photos (or take new ones), add a virtual tour, change up the description; all of these things can give your listing a new look to buyers just starting on the hunt for their new home.
Re Assess – Walk around you property with an objective eye and think about what you would like to see in a property ready for the Market. Do the carpets need to be steam cleaned or replaced? Is the paint scuffed, chipped, or dull? Is there a lot of clutter (family pictures, knick-knacks, furniture, books,etc…) ? Is your furniture making it hard to navigate or easily walk through your home? The list below will allow you to check off what might need to be updated to get your property sold quick!
– Update Flooring: whether you clean your carpets or install hardwood, flooring is often the deal breaker at showings.
– Freshen up the Paint: if your paint is dirty or dull put a fresh coat on in a bright new color to make your home inviting.
De-clutter – Often great properties are over looked because clients can’t see past the stack of magazines or the 10 counter appliances. Think like home style magazines: Less is More. The less distractions from individual items will allow buyers to see the property as a whole and they will more easily imagine themselves living there. Check out our blog on getting rid of unwanted items.
Showings – Bright, Welcoming, and Clean. These are 3 things to really live by when prepping your home for a showing.
– Open all the blinds
– Turn on ALL the lights (make sure they all are working and have light bulbs
– Fresh scent (if you notice the salmon you had for dinner last night is still lingering in the air, give the rooms a quick mist with air freshener. Click here for some natural quick air freshening ideas.
– Relaxing decor
– Put all small personal items ‘out of sight’ in a drawer or cupboard
– Smile! Being welcoming and friendly is the first impression the buyer will get of your property so make it a positive one!
Check out our previous blog ‘Top Tips to Sell Your Home’ for great links to professional paint advice from Benjamin Moore, Cleaning Tips, Home Staging ideas, and more!